Cleaning To Minimize Allergies
Cleaning can help minimize allergies. Here are some practical ways to keep allergies under control:
- Vacuum carpeted areas once or twice a week and launder curtains twice a year.
- Pare down. Clutter can collect dust and provide a haven for allergens like dust mites.
- Cover your face when you clean to limit your exposure to stirred up allergens.
- Rid your home of mold and mildew by cleaning with vinegar.
- Wash all bedding weekly in hot water. Make sure it’s at least 130 F to kill dust mites.
- Machine dry your laundry. Air drying clothing outside can bring pollen and mold indoors.
- Dust with a wet cloth to trap allergens instead of sending them airborne.
- Avoid cleaning your carpet with moisture, as it can lead to mold growth and increased dust mite populations.